What is $5 Friday?
I started “$5 Fridays” to inspire people to support animal advocacy organizations. Every Friday, I select an organization and kindly ask everyone to donate $5 to it. If we all donate $5, it will add up and make a big difference for animals.
How can you help?
1) Donate $5 directly to the $5 Friday pick via their website (or any animal charity you choose!).
2) Post the organization’s name and your donation amount in the comments section below so we can keep a running total of donations (i.e. “I donated $5 to Blackberry Creek Farm Animal Sanctuary”). I confirm our total with the organization the following day.
That’s it. It’s that simple!
How do I select the organizations?
I interview organization leaders, speak with volunteers, read websites and Google reviews, check social media activity, review the organization’s financials, and think critically about every decision. I focus on organizations that can quantify the effectiveness of their work and make the biggest impact for animals.
Why should we donate?
Animal rescue and advocacy organizations rely on our generosity to propel their work. Whether it’s providing humane education to students, designing and printing veg starter kits, launching online pro-animal advertisements, employing undercover investigators, organizing boycotts or protests, advocating for pro-animal legislation, or providing medical care, food, and shelter to rescued animals, it costs money to run these organizations. Our donations directly help them save more animals’ lives.
Our new $5 Friday total is $7,115 donated to help animals!
Let’s keep it going!
$5 Friday Pick #14: Blackberry Creek Farm Animal Sanctuary, Colfax, CA
Here are five reasons to donate $5 to Blackberry Creek Farm Animal Sanctuary:
1. Rita, a mother pig who narrowly escaped slaughter by leaping off of a speeding truck, miraculously survived. Taken in by Animal Services, she gave birth to fourteen tiny piglets only hours later. Nine of those piglets survived the leap and are now safe. All of them will get to enjoy a life of love in sanctuary, and two are joining Blackberry Creek to spend their lifetimes being admired ambassadors for pigs in the animal agriculture system. One of Rita’s adorable piglets heading to Blackberry Creek is pictured above. In addition to getting to support him by donating $5 for his care, Blackberry Creek is offering the special opportunity to $5 Friday supporters to pick a name for him! They will select and announce his name from among your list of suggestions!
2. The founders are full-time middle school teachers and operate the all-volunteer five acre sanctuary on an annual budget of only $10,000. Imagine handling the demands of the teaching profession while managing a farm animal sanctuary! That’s dedication and compassion!
3. In addition to providing food, love, and medical care for their rescued animals, the Blackberry Creek team delivered school presentations on farm animals and hosted more than 2,000 lucky people in 2015. The field trips to Blackberry Creek are uniquely tailored for different visitors. For example, when the sanctuary hosts children that have suffered from abuse, they help the children understand how animals also suffer from abuse so they can empathize. Visitors connect the animals’ experience of learning to trust again, feeling uncomfortable in a home, and being scared to their own life experiences. Additional funding will help Blackberry Creek grow their tremendously powerful, strategic, and successful humane education programs.
4. Meet the animals. Trigger Warning: If adorable animal names make your heart melt, don’t click the link!
5. As if it wasn’t enough that they rescue farm animals, this team of heroes adopted a three-legged dog from Taiwan! They bring him to a local children’s hospital with amputees to show them that they can be as happy as their dog even though they’re missing a leg. Now that’s inspirational!
Let’s show the Blackberry Creek team how much we appreciate everything they do to make the world a more humane place for animals by empowering them to do even more.
Click here to donate $5 directly to Blackberry Creek. Thank you for participating in $5 Friday.
Please list your donation amount in the comments section below so we can track our total. Thank you!