What is $5 Friday?
I started “$5 Fridays” to inspire people to support animal advocacy organizations. Every Friday, I select an organization and kindly ask everyone to donate $5 to it. If we all donate $5, it will add up and make a big difference for animals.
How can you help?
1) Donate $5 directly to the $5 Friday pick via their website (or any animal charity you choose!).
2) Post the organization’s name and your donation amount in the comments section below so we can keep a running total of donations (i.e. “I donated $5 to Veganuary”). I confirm our total with the organization the following day.
That’s it. It’s that simple!
How do I select the organizations?
I read independent assessments, interview organization leaders, speak with volunteers, read websites and Google reviews, check social media activity, review the organization’s financials, and think critically about every decision. I focus on organizations that can quantify the effectiveness of their work and make the biggest impact for animals.
Why should we donate?
Animal rescue and advocacy organizations rely on our generosity to propel their work. Whether it’s providing humane education to students, designing and printing veg starter kits, launching online pro-animal advertisements, employing undercover investigators, organizing boycotts or protests, advocating for pro-animal legislation, or providing medical care, food, and shelter to rescued animals, it costs money to run these organizations. Our donations directly help them save more animals’ lives.
Our new $5 Friday total is $6,849 donated to help animals!
Let’s keep it going!
$5 Friday Pick #13: Veganuary
Here are five reasons to donate $5 to Veganuary:
1. Outreach. Veganuary is a global campaign that encourages people to eat plant-based food for January. Veganuary is dedicated to changing public attitudes while providing information and practical support required to make the transition to veganism as easy and enjoyable as possible. The message is clear: Try vegan and then stay vegan. In 2014, 3,300 participants signed up; in 2015, 12,800 signed up, and the target for 2016 is 50,000 due to increased global media coverage and advertising.
2. Resources. How do they do it? Veganuary deals with the root cause of people eating animals. The aim is non-judgmental, friendly education, asking people to pledge to be vegan for the month. Veganuary provides a supportive platform and community to help people who sign up including motivational e-mails, delicious plant-based recipes, footage of animal slaughter, vegan myths, a restaurant guide, product reviews, and a support group. And it works!
3. Data and Research. The Veganuary team places a heavy emphasis on data and research. They know how many people sign up per year, the percentage of those people trying vegan, the percentage staying vegan, the reasons people stop trying vegan, the reasons people stay vegan, how many animals they save, and much more. They use their data to drive improvements and they conduct and use research in the field to create a strategic approach to influence as many people as possible to save as many lives as possible. These are smart, driven, selfless advocates focused on maximizing their impact per dollar spent on advertising, resources, and other research.
4. Professional. The Veganuary website is one of the most professional and comprehensive websites to help people stop eating animals on the internet. They have invested a massive amount of time and effort building a platform that attracts millions of people to their website every year.
5. Impact. Veganuary has experienced an incredible degree of success in a very short time and is changing lives all over the world. Veganuary estimates their organization saved 1.5 million animals in 2015. For every dollar you donate to Veganuary, you save approximately 9 animals. With a $5 donation, you can save the lives of 45 animals. Donate $10 and save 90 animals! Now that’s an impact!
Let’s show the Veganuary team how much we appreciate everything they do to make the world a more humane place for animals by empowering them to do even more.
Click here to donate $5 directly to Veganuary. Thank you for participating in $5 Friday.
Please list your donation amount in the comments section below so we can track our total. Thank you!