I volunteer as a mentor to a group of 14 boys ages 6-11 at my local Boys and Girls Club. Click here to learn more about my experiences with these hilarious, smart, and good-natured children. I’m always looking for ways to improve the quality of their lives so I decided to start a pen pal program. When I told them about it, they smiled and clapped. They get very excited over everything we do.
Pen Pal Program Purpose
The purpose of the pen pal program is to match each boy with one or more pen pals. The goals of the program include:
1. Brightening the day of a child when he receives mail from someone who expresses interest in him and provides positive support;
2. Teaching a child about other cultures, states or countries, or customs; and
3. Helping a child develop a passion for writing
How to Participate
1. You must be 18 years old.
2. You must commit to writing one (1) letter per month for a minimum of six (6) months for a total of six (6) letters. Each of the boys will have multiple pen pals but you will only select one boy.
3. All letters will be mailed to the Boys and Girls Club. You will never ask a child intrusive information (i.e. income level, home address, parents’ marital status, etc.). You will keep the conversations light, fun, and always positive.
4. Children will use a nickname. No child’s personal information will be disclosed to protect their safety.
5. When you mail your letter to the club, you will include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the child to send you a return letter. If you live outside of the United States, please calculate required postage. We welcome people from all over the world. They don’t travel so they’re very fascinated by people who live in other countries.
6. Mail your letter by the 1st day of each month to ensure all of the boys receive a letter. Letters will be read on approximately the 7th of each month and the boys will write and return replies shortly thereafter. I’ll share photos of the boys reading your letters. I hope you will look forward to hearing from them as much as they do you.
You will mail letters to:
Andrew Kirschner, Volunteer
c/o Jim and Jan Moran Boys and Girls Club
27 S Dixie Hwy
Deerfield Beach, FL 33441
*Please write the name of your pen pal on the back of the envelope.
Please review the photos below and let me know which of the boys you would like to be your pen pal by replying with a comment on this thread. I’ll confirm your pen pal by responding to you on the thread. Thank you for your support and for helping to make a difference in the life of a child.
Andrew Kirschner, Ed.D., is a grassroots vegan animal rights activist. He writes a zero-profit blog, Kirschner’s Korner, and hosts a radio show, Kirschner’s Korner Radio, to help raise awareness about issues affecting the global community to make the world a more humane place. To receive new articles via email, enter your email in the “Follow Blog Via Email” link at the top right of the blog.